Thursday, April 26, 2012

A CHAPTER IN MY LIFE IS THROUGH


 A new friend at work and I were talking about our blogs... and I felt nostalgia for my old abandoned blog. I decided right then that I would unearth my blog (with all its' typos), because there are things that still deserve to be said and shared. So here goes....

A chapter in my life is through.  I held on as long as I could. The whites of my knuckles were showing... so I surrendered and LET GO!  I'm closing just a chapter, not the book. I am now officially on the other side of parenting.  I can do no more to directly influence the lives of our children. But you have to give me credit because I've held on for dear life. I've hungered to hear their sweet voices each time they would call from half way across the USA.  At other times I would have to remind myself not to call them too often.... all the while trying to come up with excuses to call anyway.  From the next room, I'd hear my husband say...Baby, leave those kids alone!  But truth be told, I've caught him a time or two doing the same thing.  Anyway, I knew I was pathetic, but it was a chance that they didn't know it. I didn't want to seem 'needy', and certainly not 'bothersome' to my children.  And except for a few episodes, I've gracefully restrained myself. I know they're adults and don't need me in the same way.  And I'm O.K. with that, until I hear another mother exclaim "my daughter calls me everyday" ...Uuggh!  Our son married the love of his life just last year, and our daughter is probably close behind. Other priorities take first seat in their lives now, as it should be. We've gained an amazing daughter-in-law.  But MAN! how I miss "mothering'.  I loved being a mother through all it's stages.  And even though I will always be their mother and always be needed in some degree...something, almost tangible, has changed. A chapter has ended.  So I'll step aside and take my place, and find peace in the fact that we've managed (with God's help) to raise two decent, loving individuals. I have  great examples to emulate during the next chapter - my precious mother and mother-in-law.  They knew how to graciously step back and let me do my thing.  My mistakes and choices were mine to own. But I knew their shoulders were there to cry on.

So HAT'S OFF! to the parents (especially mothers) who have survived this chapter with grace.  I'm about to join your ranks. Do I get a cookie or something? Seriously.

1 comment:

Manna said...

Love, love this. You are a beautiful person! Inside and out.